Thanks to everyone who participated in this year's Masters Challenge. Please review your results and if you find any issues (e.g. I missed your results in a race), please let me know asap and I'll get that corrected. We're currently working on some new very cool hats for this year's winners which we'll be getting to you in time for the snow next year.
As always, if you have any thoughts on ways we can improve this race series (scoring, races we use, prizes), please let me know. We're always open to suggestions.
For the 2012/2013 season racers must complete a minimum of 5 races to qualify.This is the race series to see how you stack up competitively against your age group peers.
The rules: Age groups will be divided every 5 years, racers need to compete in 5 of the master’s challenge races and the scoring rules will be identical to last year (5 for 1st place, 4 for 2nd, etc, total score is based on your BEST five races). In addition to masters age categories, senior age skiers will have their own age group (20-29). Skiers must compete in one classic race to be eligible for awards and must have a racing or supporting membership. In the case of any ties, your score in your 6th best race will be used as a tie breaker (if it’s still tied, we’ll move to the 7th race, 8th race, etc). The Masters Challenge will recognize the top THREE skiers in each age category with awards with a special award for first place in your age category.
The Masters Challenge Team Competition: Prior to the first set of races, you put together a three-person team and give yourself a team name. Each skier on the team needs to be in a different age/sex group. Over the season, the team score will be the cumulative score of each of the three team members. Unlike the individual competition, you can earn points with every race (no restriction to top 5 races). We’ll put together the cumulative scores and there will be some fun awards for the teams at the end of the year. You can participate in both the individual point series and the team point series.
Deadline: You must be a racing or supporting member and have either done 1 race or let me know that you want to participate by 1/15/2013.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or feedback. It’s YOUR race series and we want to make your racing membership as rewarding as possible. For more information, contact Andy Pasternak.
- Skiers must participate in at least 5 of the 11 races
- Skiers must have a Far West Nordic Racing or Supporting Membership
- One of the races must be a classic race to be eligible for awards.
- Age groups will be divided every 5 years and will include a senior age group
- Racers will receive 5 points for 1st place in their age group, 4 for 2nd place, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th and 1 point for 5th place
- WAVE START RULES: Women who choose to race in the MEN’S wave of any race with wave starts by gender will score the points calculated by her placement in the MEN’S Wave, but those points are applicable to her overall series score.
- Cumulative score will be the best 5 races for each individual skier
- In the case of a tie, the results from a sixth race will be used as a tie breaker. If one of the racers has only done 5 races, the racer with 6 races will be ranked higher. If there is still a tie, we will use the score from the 7th race/8th race and so on
- Awards will be given to the top three racers in each age group
- Each Team is composed of three skiers. Teams need to be formed by January 15th.
- All team members must have a Far West Nordic Racing or Supporting Membership
- All three skiers must be in different age or sex categories. For example your team members could be M35-39, W35-39, and W60-64
- Scoring will be the same as the individual competition. The total team points will consist of any points from any race that the skiers participate in (no best 5 races)
- There will be no minimum number of races to be eligible for the team competition
- In the case of a tie, the total number of points/total number of races done by the team will be used as a tie breaker.
|2012-2013 Masters Challenge Qualifying Races|
|R1||December 23, 2012||Snowshoe Thompson||Auburn Ski Club|
|R2||December 31, 2012||Paco's Freestyle||Auburn Ski Club|
|R3||January 6, 2013||Sierra Nordic Duathlon||Tahoe Donner XC|
|R4||January 13, 2013||Alpenglow 20K Freestyle||Tahoe XC|
|R5||January 21, 2013||Skogsloppet||Tahoe Donner XC|
|R6||January 27, 2013||Tahoe Rim Race 30K (Classic and Skate)||Tahoe XC to Northstar|
|R7||February 3, 2013||Allan Bard Memorial Classic||Tamarack Lodge XC|
|R8||February 10, 2013||Paco's 15 km Valentine Race||Tahoe Donner XC|
|R9||February 18, 2013||President's Cup||Auburn Ski Club|
|R10||March 3, 2013||The Great Ski Race||Tahoe XC to Truckee|
|R11||April 7, 2013||Mammoth Marathon 42K (M1-8, W1-8) 21K (M9-10, W7-10)*||Tamarack Lodge XC|
|* W7 and W8 may ski either the Mammoth Marathon or half marathon. Each race will be scored separately.|
|5-year age classes
|Master M/W 1||30-34|
|Master M/W 2||35-39|
|Master M/W 3||40-44|
|Master M/W 4||45-49|
|Master M/W 5||50-54|
|Master M/W 6||55-59|
|Master M/W 7||60-64|
|Master M/W 8||65-69|
|Master M/W 9||70-74|
|Master M/W 10||75+|