Congrats to everyone in this year's masters challenge. Because of the lack of races, we decided to drop the minimum number of races down to 3 for this year. In an effort to keep things fair to the truly motivated racers out there who were able to get in 4 races, the final results within age groups will still be based on you 4 race total.
Please review your results and let me know asap if you find any scoring issues.
Hope everyone has a wonderful summer and we'll see you back out on the snow next year.
For the 2013/2014 season racers must complete a minimum of 5 races to qualify.This is the race series to see how you stack up competitively against your age group peers.
The rules: Age groups will be divided every 5 years, racers need to compete in 5 of the master’s challenge races and the scoring rules will be identical to last year (5 for 1st place, 4 for 2nd, etc, total score is based on your BEST five races). In addition to masters age categories, senior age skiers will have their own age group (20-29). Skiers must compete in one classic race to be eligible for awards and must have a racing or supporting membership. In the case of any ties, your score in your 6th best race will be used as a tie breaker (if it’s still tied, we’ll move to the 7th race, 8th race, etc). The Masters Challenge will recognize the top THREE skiers in each age category with awards with a special award for first place in your age category.
Deadline: You must be a racing or supporting member and have either done 1 race or let me know that you want to participate by 1/15/2014.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or feedback. It’s YOUR race series and we want to make your racing membership as rewarding as possible. For more information, contact Andy Pasternak.
- Skiers must participate in at least 5 of the 10 races
- Skiers must have a Far West Nordic Racing or Supporting Membership
- One of the races must be a classic race to be eligible for awards.
- Age groups will be divided every 5 years and will include a senior age group
- Racers will receive 5 points for 1st place in their age group, 4 for 2nd place, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th and 1 point for 5th place
- WAVE START RULES: Women who choose to race in the MEN’S wave of any race with wave starts by gender will score the points calculated by her placement in the MEN’S Wave, but those points are applicable to her overall series score.
- Cumulative score will be the best 5 races for each individual skier
- In the case of a tie, the results from a sixth race will be used as a tie breaker. If one of the racers has only done 5 races, the racer with 6 races will be ranked higher. If there is still a tie, we will use the score from the 7th race/8th race and so on
- Awards will be given to the top three racers in each age group
|2013-2014 Masters Challenge Qualifying Races|
|R1||December 22, 2013||Snowshoe Thompson||Auburn Ski Club|
|R2||January 5, 2014||Paco's Freestyle||Auburn Ski Club|
|R3||January 20, 2014||Skogsloppet||Tahoe Donner XC|
|R4||January 26, 2014||Alpenglow 20K Freestyle||Tahoe XC|
|R5||February 2, 2014||Allan Bard Memorial Classic||Tamarack Lodge XC|
|R6||February 17, 2014||President's Cup||Auburn Ski Club|
|R7||March 2, 2014||The Great Ski Race||Tahoe XC to Truckee|
|R8||March 16, 2014||Gold Rush (M1-M6), Gold or Silver Rush (M7-10, W1-10)
Bronze Rush (M9-10, W9-10)
|Royal Gorge XC|
|R9||March 30, 2014||Tahoe Rim Race 30K (Classic and Skate)||Tahoe XC to Northstar|
|R10||April 6, 2014||Mammoth Marathon 42K (M1-8, W1-8) 21K (M9-10, W7-10)*||Tamarack Lodge XC|
|* W7 and W8 may ski either the Mammoth Marathon or half marathon. Each race will be scored separately.|
|5-year age classes
|Master M/W 1||30-34|
|Master M/W 2||35-39|
|Master M/W 3||40-44|
|Master M/W 4||45-49|
|Master M/W 5||50-54|
|Master M/W 6||55-59|
|Master M/W 7||60-64|
|Master M/W 8||65-69|
|Master M/W 9||70-74|
|Master M/W 10||75+|