A large part of Far West Nordic’s MISSION is dedicated to enabling junior athletes to become lifetime proponents of cross country skiing, whether it is racing or recreational. Although much of the day-to-day training and instruction is done via the individual clubs within the division’s boundaries, Far West’s role is integral in making sure all junior athletes have the opportunity to become more proficient athletes.
FAR WEST NORDIC CAMPS and TRIPS
Far West Nordic maintains a variety of TRAINING CAMPS and TRIPS throughout the year, both on and off the snow. In 2014, we scheduled different levels of summer camps for teenage skiers and above: Bliss/Lake Tahoe, Western Regional Elite Group, June Lake, PNSA/Redwood. In the snow months, Far West’s role is to organize and staff trips to West Yellowstone for the Thanksgiving Week Nordic Festival and SuperTour, Soldier Hollow for the Rocky Mountain/InterMountain Super JNQ competition, and Junior Nationals.
FAR WEST BUCKS
This program is designed for athletes who wish to earn credit to be used for any Far West Nordic camp or trip (such as JNs). This is a great way for athletes to defray much of the cost of these activities.
- Far West Bucks expire when the junior turns 20, or is no longer of junior racing age.
- Far West Bucks are non-transferable, even to siblings.
- Far West Bucks can only be earned by Far West Nordic members in good current standing
- Far West Bucks can only be used (withdrawn) for Far West Nordic Trips and Camps. They cannot be withdrawn for cash or membership dues.
There are 3 ways to earn Far West Bucks:
- Annual Auction/Raffle Ticket Sales: Sell admission and raffle tickets for the annual fundraiser in Autumn. 60% of all the money raised by the athlete goes into their specific Far West Bucks “account.”
- Amazon Gift Wrapping: Wrap gift orders at the Amazon warehouse in Fernley, Nevada. 90% of all the money raised goes into their specific Far West Bucks account. (You must be 18 years old or older to volunteer in the Amazon warehouse. Family members are welcome)
- Ironman: Volunteer and recruit other volunteers to work the various Lake Tahoe Ironman stations manned by Far West Nordic. 90% of all the money earned goes into the athletes’ Far West Bucks account.
Any questions about Far West Bucks, eligibility, etc., please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following article is an abridgement from Cory Lyn Coogan’s book One Week in March. The abridgement was written for the 2008 Anchorage Junior Olympics (Nationals) and is meant to help juniors and parents find a college with skiing.
One Week in March: A Manual For Prospective Collegiate Nordic Skiers by Corey Lyn Coogan
Video courtesy of “Captain Nordic”
Share your training experiences!
Far West Camps and Trips
Far West Alumni
Do you have a training blog you want to share?