Have you forgotten to sign up for Far West this year or just haven’t got around to racing yet? You are not alone!
With ELEVEN races still on the schedule, it’s not too late to jump into The Sierra Ski Chase and have a chance of winning the “Overall Title” as well as a commemorative participation prize and many great raffle prizes.
Races with at least 40 seniors and masters competitors will be scored depending on your place – with bonus points added if you are older! The final standings are decided by your total points in your best FIVE races.
Currently, Cathy Howard is leading the charge for the women with 72 points. Maggie Fillmore is in second with 62 points and Kara LaPoint and Mischel Twining holding third. For the men – Jeff Schloss is in the lead with 74 points, Joe Dengler with 72 and Michael Collins with 70. See our Sierra Ski Chase page for current standings & details on how the scoring works.
All Far West members who complete a minimum of THREE eligible XC races this season are eligible to receive the 2012 season participation prize. New Far West members will receive last year’s prize (a t- shirt) for just ONE race (as supplies last)!
Renew your membership, or email us at email@example.com if you want to check if you remembered to join this year!
There are still plenty of races this season:
- March 10 & 11th - Bear Valley hosts the fun weekend of Bjornloppet Racing which is again part of the Senior (50+ year olds) Winter Games. Why not register and compete in both?
- Sunday, March 11th - NEW – Paco’s Fun Freestyle at ASC
- Sunday, March 18th – The rescheduled Snowshoe Thompson CLASSIC race at Auburn Ski Club.
- Sunday, March 25th – NEW – Summit to Wildy Race – Point to point at Royal Gorge! Special NOVICE RACER wave to encourage more folks to try ski racing (Fundraiser for Auburn Ski Club).
- March 24-25th – the Mammoth Biathlon which boasts the prestige of being the largest Citizens’ Biathlon Race in the US! (Race is scored on participation.)
- Sunday, April 1st – Mammoth Marathon – with no Gold Rush this year, this is the only opportunity to ski a long one. 42 km or 21 km (short course 10 km + 2 km kids’ race).
- Saturday, April 7th – Tahoe Rim Tour Race (rescheduled from January) – a unique Classic point-to-point distance race (26 km Classic and Skate); 21 km (Snowshoe).
- Saturday, April 7th – Tom’s Race – We haven’t had many classic only races this season so if you prefer a shorter race, here’s your excuse to go back to Bear Valley for a 10 km.
- Sunday, April 15th – Billy Dutton Uphill – 3.2 miles Uphill from The Base of Squaw up to High Camp – a real lung burner that so many folks love to challenge!
- Sunday, April 22nd – NEW – Spring Biathlon at ASC