SIERRA SKI CHASE
[wptabs mode="horizontal"] [wptabtitle] Overview[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
WHAT IS THE SIERRA SKI CHASE?
A The Sierra Ski Chase is a low-key race series, now in its 18th season. It’s open to cross-country skiers of all ages and abilities. The purpose of the Ski Chase is to promote greater participation in XC ski race events, which currently draw a wide range of skiers, from top-level athletes to recreational skiers who complete courses at their own pace. Whether you want to race, push yourself a bit, or take on a Ski Chase event as a “tour” is up to you! There are two ways Far West members can participate in the Sierra Ski Chase:
- PARTICIPATION, which is free and open to ALL Far West Nordic members, and
- RACING COMPETITION, which is open to Far West Nordic Racing and Supporting members only.
The key difference between these: PARTICIPATION is all about completing a series of races – many participants like having such a goal for their ski season. RACING COMPETITION is an age-handicapped competition in which points are awarded based how you place at each race in which you complete. Competitors are scored throughout the season, and Ski Chase Racing standings are updated as races are completed. YOU MUST BE A FAR WEST NORDIC RACING OR SUPPORTING MEMBER TO BE IN THE SKI CHASE RACING COMPETITION.
- ALL ages are eligible for Basic Participation
- Any XC ski race that’s at least 5K counts towards Basic Participation.
[/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle] Participation[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
SIERRA SKI CHASE PARTICIPATION
2012 Season Changes:
- All Far West members who complete a minimum of 3 eligible XC races this season are eligible to receive the 2012 season commemorative Participation Prize.
- New Far West members will receive last years prize (a t shirt) for just 1 race!
Participation Prizes! All Far West members who complete a minimum of 5 eligible XC races this season are eligible to receive the 2012 season commemorative Participation Prize.
Bonus Prize for New Far West members: if you’re a first-time Far West member this season, you’re eligible to receive a bonus prize after your first 3 qualifying races. Bonus prizes will be one of prior year’s participation prizes (while supplies last).
Race eligibility: the only requirement for which races count towards Ski Chase Participation Prize eligibility is that they (1)each race you complete must be a minimum of 5K in length, and (2) races must occur in the Far West regions (California, Nevada, and Arizona). The list of races in the Far West region can be found on our Race Schedule. Races vary in terms of distance, race format, and terrain/difficulty — there’s a wide range of races to choose from, so you can pick whatever races are right for you.
Great Raffle Prizes Too: all participants ages 20 and over who complete a minimum of 5 races will be eligible for raffle prizes donated by our sponsors (in addition to the participation prize). You must be present to win a raffle prize at the prize awards ceremony (see below), and you must complete 5 races by the date of the awards ceremony to qualify for a raffle prize.
Prize awards ceremony:
- Participation prizes will be distributed at an end of season party and at other XC events by prior arrangement (please e-mail Juliet Bradley). We can make also mail your prize via Priority Mail if you pre-pay our postage cost.
- Raffle Prize drawings will be held at the end of season party. You must be present to win.
What You Need To Do To Participate: other than being a Far West member, you don’t need to do anything to start your Ski Chase participation. Just start doing some of the XC races and keep track of which races you’ve done. When you’ve completed your 5 races (3 qualifying races for new members) please fill out the form below telling us which races you’ve completed and we’ll put you on the list to receive this season’s participation prize. Far West Nordic Racing and Supporting members do not need to submit this form- we will keep track of you race count for the season.
[wptabtitle] Racing Competition[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
SIERRA SKI CHASE RACING COMPETITION
Eligibility: you MUST be a Far West Nordic Racing or Supporting member age 20 or over to be scored in the Sierra Ski Chase Racing Competition. If you’re a Basic member and wish to upgrade to a Racing or Supporting member, you may do so in the online store. Juniors are not eligible for the Sierra Ski Chase Racing Competition.
What you need to do: All Racing and Supporting members will automatically be scored, there’s nothing you need to do to start being scored other than completing races. If you’re a Racing or Supporting member and you do NOT wish to be scored, please e-mail Juliet Bradley.
Eligible Races: Races with greater than 40 masters competitors will be scored. For the complete list of races that count towards the Sierra Ski Chase, please see the Racing Standings.
Competition Awards: The top man and woman will have their names inscribed on the SIERRA SKI CHASE PERPETUAL TROPHY on display at the Auburn Ski Club. Racing competition standings will be updated throughout the race season and posted on the Racing Standings page; the final winners will be computed after the last race included in the competition.
Criteria and Point Scoring:The objective of the Sierra Ski Chase point scoring is to consider several key aspects of race achievement:
- Recognition of top race finishers
- Rewarding participation and perseverance as well as race performance
- Handicapping results based on age
Races with at least 40 seniors + masters competitors will be scored with placing points shown in the table below. Age handicap points will be given to the best 5 races per participant, that means 1 point will be added per year over age 34. Everybody will receive 10 points for finishing a race plus placing points. After your best 5 races, each additional race will be worth another 10 points. Specific races will be scored as follows:
- The Tahoe Rim Tour will be scored as 2 separate races, i.e., a classic race and a separate skate race. Similarly, the Mammoth Marathon will be scored separately from the Mammoth Half Marathon.
- The Great Ski Race will be scored with 30 points, with no age or finishing points.
- Royal Gorge’s Gold/Silver/Bronze Rush will be scored with 30/20/10 points depending which distance you enter and again no age or finishing points.
- Several races offer “short course” formats: these will be evaluated and scored as separate races.
- WAVE START RULES: Women who choose to race in the MEN’S wave of any race with wave starts by gender will score the points calculated by her placement in the MEN’S Wave, but those points are applicable to her overall series score.
In the event that a race has less than 40 adult participants, each participant will be awarded a flat 10 points. Placing points are as follows:
|top 20||5 points||top 40||10 points|
|top 15||10 points||top 30||20 points|
|top 10||25 points||top 20||30 points|
|top 5||35 points||top 15||35 points|
|top 2||40 points||top 10||40 points|
|top 3||45 points|
[/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle] Become A Sponsor[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SIERRA SKI CHASE SPONSORS!
Please acknowledge our sponsors and let them know how much you appreciate their support of the Sierra Ski Chase. Our sponsors provide us with the funds needed to acquire Participation Awards and provide us with raffle prizes, so please show your gratitude by shopping at these businesses.
Sierra Ski Chase Sponsorship
If you’re interested in being a Sierra Ski Chase sponsor, any donation of in kind goods for the raffle or cash for the Participation Prize is appreciated. Sponsors donating a $400 value or more will receive the following benefits:
- Sponsor name and logo prominently printed and displayed on our Participation Prize
- Sponsor name and logo with hotlink on key Sierra Ski Chase pages of the Far West Nordic website
- Ongoing exposure to Far West Nordic members that are highly involved with XC skiing and racing
If you would like to become a sponsor please email Juliet Bradley. [/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle]Finishers[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
SIERRA SKI CHASE 2011-2012 FINISHERS
Congratulations to the following racers who have completed their 2012 Sierra Ski Chase. *If you have completed your Sierra Ski Chase and your name is not listed below, please email Juliet Bradley to make sure you get your prize and are entered in the raffle!
|WS (20-29)||MS (20-29)|
|Kara LaPoint||Elias Bucher
|W1 (30-34)||M1 (30-34)|
|W2 (35-39)||M2 (35-39)|
|W3 (40-44)||M3 (40-44)|
|Beth Thomas||Scott Fairman
|W4 (45-49)||M4 (45-49)|
|W5 (50-54)||M5 (50-54)|
|Debbie Hakasson||Mark Henry
|W6 (55-59)||M6 (55-59)|
|Nancy Fiddler||Tom Altenbach
|W7 (60-64)||M7 (60-64)|
|W8 (65-69)||M8 (65-69)|
|Gloria Ploss||Michael Cohen
|W9 (70-74)||M9 (70-74)|
*new members who have completed 3 or more races [/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle] Racing Standings[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]