Far West Nordic Elite Team, a Cross Country Olympic Development Senior Team based in Lake Tahoe, California, is seeking to fill 6 positions on its roster for 2013-2014. The Elite Team is a grassroots development program concentrating on individual athlete results, community involvement, and help with local junior xc ski development.
In 2012-2013 the Farm Team helped foster several team members to their best ski results ever. We aim to continue this trend; and we aim higher still. We are looking to attract athletes with a similar focus.
For the record, those of you who missed Junior Nationals in Far West in 2005 and 2009, Lake Tahoe is legendary for its above-average snowfall, yet seemingly cloudless days. It also has five outstanding Nordic resorts/venues within the Tahoe Basin and a top-quality local Nordic racing scene. And the summer time is pretty sweet here too, with two, big, beautiful lakes and endless backcountry terrain to run, swim, and bike in.
For interested applicants, the Elite Team has available: a top tier coaching staff, world class training venues, race/trip support, uniforms from Mt Borah, Toko wax/tools, and Rudy Project sunglasses. In addition, Far West Nordic is currently able to offer a small travel stipend for each of the six team athletes. More financial assistance will depend upon each athlete’s involvement to/with fundraising. Each Elite Team athlete is expected to sign and adhere to an Athlete Contract committing to; results, community involvement/fundraising, junior development, and personal integrity. All transportation, housing, and employment is the responsibility of each team member but help with any of these items will be provided upon request.
If you are interested in being part of the Far West Nordic Elite Team, please send a one paragraph bio and your ski resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
See below for applicant criteria.
Application Deadline is August 21, 2013 and the Team will be named by September 1, 2013. Contract period is from 1 September, 2013 to April 30, 2014.
*All previous Farm Team members will need to re-apply to be considered.
Far West Elite Team Criteria 2013-2014
The following will be considered in choosing the Far West Nordic Elite Team for 2013-2014. Far West Nordic Senior Committee and Coaches will go down the list until the allotment is filled or, we run out of candidates.
- Up to a maximum of 6 athletes for 2013-2014
- Age 20-29 years old
- Senior, Collegiate, or Junior National Champion previously
- USST National Team or USST Development Team member currently
- USSA NRL Top 25 for Men and Women (or FIS point equivalent based on most recent ranking list)
- USSA NRL top 50 for Men and Women (or FIS point equivalent based on most recent ranking list)
- USSA NRL Top 100 for Men and Women (or FIS point equivalent based on most recent ranking list)
- Top Three finish overall in Men or Women in FW Races (The Great Race, The Gold Rush, Tahoe Rim Tour)
- USSA NRL Top 250 for Men and Women (or FIS point equivalent based on most recent ranking list)
- ‘XC Skiing Ambassador’ for Far West Region within the past year; ie., Coaching, Teaching, Clinician, etc
- Local-> Regional-> National-> International athletes get preference (in that order)
- Far West coaches’ discretion up to a maximum of two spots