Application for Appointment to the Board of Directors
of Far West Nordic Ski Education Association
Far West Nordic Ski Education Association is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote the sport of cross country skiing and facilitate competitive XC skiing for juniors (under age 20), seniors (ages 20-29) and masters (age 30 and up). Far West Nordic is particularly active with juniors, bringing coaching and a variety of training programs to our younger generations. By joining Far West, you’ll be helping kids stay healthy and active, and you’ll be supporting cross country ski athletes of all ages and levels of ability.
We believe competitive cross-country skiing offers great benefits to the community and to individuals of all ages and abilities. As a division of the United States Ski Association (USSA), our mission is to promote, develop, and expand XC (Nordic) racing within the USSA Far West Region (California, Nevada, and Arizona). We accomplish this by working with ski clubs, ski areas, and directly with our membership of individuals and families. We accomplish this mission by:
- Promoting and supporting XC ski clubs, ski venues, coaching, and race development within the Far West Region;
- Attracting new individuals and groups to XC racing;
- Developing junior, senior, and masters athletes* to their full potential through education and world-class coaching;
- Providing financial support to high school junior ski programs and through individual grants and scholarships;
- Selecting junior, senior, and masters regional teams and support members competing at national and international levels; and
- Creating lifelong successful athletes at all levels of ability.
* juniors: under age 20; seniors: ages 20-29; masters: ages 30 and up
BOARD MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTION
An effective Board Member:
- Actively participates in fundraising for the organization (through your choice of direction solicitation, grant writing, membership or assistance to fundraising committee, volunteering for at least one of our special fundraising events or through other means). Also, FWNSEA has adopted a board giving policy. All board members are expected to either be supporting members of the organization or to make a donation to the organization annually in an amount which is meaningful for that particular board member. The amount of board donations is strictly confidential as it is the goal of FWNSEA to preserve the diversity of our board and to encourage participation in the board of all who are interested;
- Regularly attends Board meetings in accordance with the by-laws, committee meetings, other Board Functions and special events.
- Actively participates in committee activities and is a member of at least one committee per year;
- Accepts assignments and completes tasks competently and punctually.
- Stays informed about issues confronting the organization, including financial and other issues concerning our junior, senior and masters programs, marketing and development issues as well as special events.
- Prepares for meetings by reading financial statements, minutes and reports.
- Represents the organization in the community and builds a collegial working relationship with other Board members.
BOARD MEMBER TIME COMMITMENT
The time commitment can vary considerably depending on your level of involvement in the various committees, activities and events. At a minimum, Board Members are expected to attend most board meetings which are held on the second Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. Board meetings alternate between Truckee and Tahoe City. For board members residing in more remote geographic areas such as Mammoth or the Bay Area, we will make accommodations for Skype attendance, if needed. Board meetings are a minimum of one hour and can last up to 3 hours. Board meetings are held monthly in winter months and the board only meets once or twice during the summer months. Additional preparation time is expected in advance of board meetings for review of the minutes from the prior board meeting, the agenda, financial reports and other reports submitted by committees. If you are chairman of a committee, please also expect to prepare reports for the board meetings.
Board members are also asked to volunteer for one or more of our fundraising and special events throughout the year (our Auction/Raffle as well as our fundraising races). Board members are also expected to participate in at least one committee. Committees do not meet on a regular schedule and the time commitment can vary over the course of the year. Please feel free to contact other board and committee members to learn more about the time commitments involved in each of the committees. Our current committees are: Communications, Finance, Juniors, Fundraising, Masters, Coaches, Seniors, Competition and Membership & Marketing.
[gravityform id="14" name="Application for Appointment to FWNSEA Board of Directors"]