I’ve been sick with viral bronchitis for the last two months unable to ski or race, hence why you haven’t heard a lot from me. I raced the first two Supertours with the virus, and those races really cemented the sickness in my body. My main goal of the season surrounded Nationals, and I had skip the races using it as a puddle jump to fly across the country. I’m home in Vermont! The snow here is incredible, and I’m just now getting back on snow. It’s been a while! It is SO nice to ski. I sure do love this sport! I’m excited to get back on a start line even if I only have a fraction of the fitness I did this fall.
I wanted to update you on the all the crazy things I’ve done to try to get healthy over the past month. I got the point where I tried just about anything.
- Two rounds of antibiotics, an inhaler, and nasal spray. Thanks Silver Sage for throwing the kitchen sink at this. Your expertise was very appreciated!
- Emergen-C- I would rotate between my homemade cold buster juice and Emergenc-C.
- Blood test- checking for mono, iron level, ect. Turns out I have great iron! So that’s good news.
- Zinc- Lots of it! All the time…
- Garlic- roasted, raw, pickled, with olive oil. I live alone in Tahoe City, so I could get away with this there. I had to stop eat garlic once I got back to Vermotn.
- Probiotics- In the beginning I was drinking Kefir, but I’ve since switched to two different kinds of probiotic pills and unpasteurized sauerkraut.
- Tumeric Tea- It tastes terrible and doesn’t really work. This one was vetoed really quickly.
- Cold Buster Juice- Dylan, my California brother, found a juice on the side of the road in Truckee. It turns out that I love juicing. I would make an orange juice, lemon juice, ginger, and carrot juice concoction every day. Heat that puppy up and it’s a great boost of Vitamin C.
- Smoothie- I kicked up the juicing to another level. There were too many healthy things that I was missing out on! Or so I was told. Here in VT, my dad makes me a smoothie you can really sink your teeth into every morning. It tastes disgusting!!!
Ground flax, Brewers yeast, Walnuts, Seaweed, Chai seeds, Cocoa powder, Corolla (I still don’t know what this is!), Coconut oil, Cabbage, Kale, Spinach, Banana, Chick peas, Avocado, Berries, Apple cider vinegar, Squid oil, Broccoli, Ginger
After reading that list, you may very well be thinking that I’m nuts. The truth is I just want to feel healthy, ski fast, and enjoying being on the team. I would do anything to have that back…. Clearly.
I’m racing tomorrow! Wish me luck!